Understanding Firewalls and its Types
The firewall in simple terms is a barrier set to restrict the flow of website traffic to or from a network. Now, the barrier could be software or hardware alone or could be the combination of both to achieve the results. The entire flow of information should pass through the firewall in form of packets and blocks. Only the data that meets the criteria of the firewall settings enter into the network. The firewall, in a nutshell, stops the unauthorized access into a secured network. Of late, with the increased number of hackers at loose, trying to steal the information for their malicious gains, the firewall solutions for small businesses as well as the big corporations have become more crucial than ever. At VRS Tech, we provide an exhaustive firewall network security system in Dubai for every business and domestic use for a secure IT environment.
Though the primary goal of the firewall is to restrict the internet traffic flowing into the network and from the network, there are five different types of firewalls that are deployed based on the unique requirement. However, one has to understand that there is a certain degree of overlap between the five types. In fact, there are a few sophisticated firewalls that restrict the flow from within the organization but leave more room for the employees inside to organization to communicate with the outside world.
Key Points about how do the firewalls function?
- They are a single block point where the filtering and auditing of the network traffic take place.
- The functionality of the firewall is more comparable to the TCP/IP layers.
- As there are different types of firewalls existing today, the type of firewall that suits your type of industry is determined by the experts in the field.
- The next step, however, is to identify where to place the firewall.
- Once the firewall is placed, the job is far from being over. The regular auditing of how the firewall activity, begins. This is essential because there is always a constant fear of newly evolved threats attacking the system.
What are the various types of firewalls?
1. Network Layer Firewall or Stateful Firewall: This type of firewall actually considers source address, the destination address as single IP packets. The Network Layer firewall encourages the particular set of IP addresses that need to be blocked as they route the traffic directly through them. Due to this feature, they tend to be extremely fast and more transparent to the end users.
2. Application Layer Firewalls: These are more elaborate in nature. These types of firewalls host the proxies and perform an in-depth analysis of all the network traffic that passed through it. These types of firewalls are not as transparent as the Packet firewalls. These instead are used as the network address translators as they encrypt the actual address after having passed through the application.
3. Proxy Firewalls: These firewalls due to the level of filtering of the network traffic they perform are extremely slow. They offer more security than any other form of firewalls. In the proxy firewalls, the endpoint computers establish a connection to the proxy and mask the actual address of the initiator. This makes it difficult for the attackers to directly target the system.
4. Packet Filter Firewalls: These firewalls are usually deployed at routers and switches where the data packets are compared to the predefined criteria. In case of the packets and IP addresses of the port number do not match, they are excluded from the list of others entering the network.
5. Next-gen Firewalls: These are the most recent type of firewalls which integrate both the packet filter firewalls and the network layer firewalls.
While this is a quick guide to get a basic understanding of which type of firewall could work better for you, talk to our technicians at VRS Tech for a deep understanding of Firewalls. Get in touch with us at +971 56 7029840 or visit our website www.vrstech.com.