We are a fiber optic splicing company in Dubai
Like any other electric cables, the fiber optic cables also need to be extended over long distances. The method of providing extension by joining two or more fiber optic cables is called splicing. The technicians use two types of splicing methods to provide extensions – fusion splicing and the mechanical splicing. With decades of experience in structured cabling and fiber optic splicing, VRS Tech is one of the expert company in Fiber optic Splicing companies in Dubai, UAE.
What is fusion splicing and what are its advantages?
Fusion splicing is a method of joining two or more fiber optic cables on a permanent basis using the fusion splicer. A fusion splicer is a machine that aligns two fiber optic cable ends and welds or fuses them by means of an electric arc. It can fuse two fiber optic cables to up to twelve cables together.
Fusion splicing is the most preferred splicing method due to the following advantages
• Cost-effective as compared to the mechanic splicing. It might require a larger investment cost to purchase the toolkit and fusion slicer, but the variable cost per splice for subsequent use is much lower.
• Form permanent fusion of cables with the help of the fusion splicer.
• Lower insertion loss which is less than 0.1 dB, providing far better protection against the signal loss and cable failures. Insertion loss is essentially the loss of signal due to the insertion of a splice in the cable.
Tips for effective fusion splicing
• The spliced fiber optic cables are vulnerable to bending and tensile forces and can cause breakage if they are not protected from excessive bending and pulling. Heat shrink tubing, silicone gels, or crimp protectors should be used to protect them from breakage.
What is the mechanical splicing of fiber optic cables?
In mechanical splicing of fiber optic cables, no heat is used. They are temporary connections between the fiber optic cables. In this method, the fiber optic cables are aligned and combined using a gel, epoxy resin, or by mechanical clips.
Advantages of Mechanical splicing of fiber optic cables
• Mechanical splicing does not require a power supply.
• This method does not require any investment cost towards purchasing toolkits and splicers.
• Mechanical splices are faster as the splices can be made within minutes.
• The mechanical splicing can be done where the fusion splicing is impossible.
Fusion Vs Mechanical splicing in fiber optic cabling installations
Though fusion splicing is preferred method of splicing of the two, the mechanical splicing is favored for indoor use. However, due to the higher insertion loss, higher cost, and unreliable for permanent connections, the mechanical splicing is relatively unpopular splicing method.
VRS Tech is one of the expert company in Fiber Optic cabling Installation in Dubai, which can help you with reduced cost leveraging the advantages of both fusion splicing and mechanical splicing for best results. Contact us at +971-56-7029840 or visit our website www.vrstech.com for questions.